Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Stuck CD in 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Recently had some problems with  CD player in my new 2008 Camry Hybrid. It is the standard CD player/ radio unit. Looks like many others have also had similar problems on Camrys of previous years too. If you search Google, you will find many similar stories. Too bad for the quality that we have come to associate Toyota with. Seems like the vendor of CD players produced a large batch of such defective units and thus many are getting affected.


It is a very peculiar problem in the sense that it is not readily reproducible and on top of that it is self correcting too. CD will be playing nicely one moment and suddenly CD stops and does not eject out. Nothing helps. The display shows 'Error 1'. Radio plays ok. You give up and after a few hours, normally after you have parked the car for a while, try ejecting and CD pops out. You can play CD again. Works as though no problem for a while and the same cycle repeats.


I had this happen twice. I wanted to take it to the dealer when that 'Error 1' came so that they could see the problem. Since my car was still under warranty, they agreed to replace the CD player unit. Let's see how this goes. Luckily for me, between the time I went to dealer to show the problem and the day they replaced the CD player, CD popped out. Otherwise, it would have be bad to lose out on a good CD that too from the library.


Warranty process was pretty smooth. I took to the dealer right when it had that problem. No questions asked. The dealer ordered for a replacement unit, asked me to come back after a week and it took a couple of hours to replace it.


It is the first time I have had to claim any warranty service on 3 cars I have owned in last 10 years. Too bad that it had to be on my brand new Toyota Camry. Looks like Toyota quality is suffering. Especially by the number of similar problems reported by other customers. I hope somebody at Toyota takes notice and fixes such problems. Agreed that all such accessories are sourced from outside vendors. But Toyota should demand rigorous quality from their vendors. If such problems surface, regardless, Toyota brand is what going to suffer. Not that of unknown vendor.


I am hoping this fixes my CD player problem once for all. Although there are people who have had to have their CD players replaced multiple times. If the vendor produced so many defective units, even the replacement may come from such defective batch.


Cheers!


Powered by Qumana


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

Usually I don't learn article on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do so!

Your writing style has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice post.



Visit my site - sell sold nyc