Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Talents

"We can't take any credit for our talents. It's how we use them that counts." - Madeleine L'Engle


Similar quotation that comes to mind is - "what you are is God's gift to you. What you make of yourself is your gift to God."


Another one is -"your knowledge is only as deep as your action."


We may be able to take some credit for our talents. If we have worked hard for them, we can take some credit for them. If a musician  has practiced day and night for many years, I think it is fair to let him or her bask in glory a bit. Denying that does not seem very fair. So, talents acquired by one's hard work deserve some leniency. Others are merely circumstantial. For such talents and characteristics, we can only be thankful and not proud.


I think somebody said - "I am not concerned about my talents. I am more concerned about the talents that I have but do not know." This is so true. We are many times not aware of our talents at all. Only way to figure them out is to keep doing different things. Some things click and some do not. Some things we enjoy and some things we do not. That's how we figure out where our talents are.


Talent needs to be nurtured. Innate talent goes only so far. If we want a talent that serves us well then we need to practice a lot. Some great musician said -"If I do not practice for a month, my audience will notice. If I do not practice for a week, my family will notice. If I do not practice for a day, I will notice."


Cheers!


Powered by Qumana


No comments: